Friday 30 May 2014

Race to the Finish

I am very excited that I was able to achieve a huge part of my project last night. I ran a race to raise awareness for a cause that is very close to me. My mother has NF, also known as neurofibromatosis, which is a disease that affects 1 in 3000 people. This disease is where tumours on the spinal cord cause decrease in mental ability and can also cause disfigurement, which my mom is fortunate not to have. Being able to incorporate my passion project into something that means a lot to myself and my family has been a pleasure. There was approximately 40 of us running, and a whole support group behind us. The run also helped the legislative pass the proposal of having May be NF awareness month in Manitoba.

Race wise, I hit a few obstacles as I was running. I have been consistently going to the chiropractor for my lower back and he said I should be able to run, but it was difficult to get through. I ran a total of 3 laps around Kildonan Park, which is a total of 9 km. I ran that in 53.16 minutes. I will be challenging myself to continue running and beating this time. I do not consider this my final time because I will progressively improving throughout the next couple of weeks into the summer.

It is a shame that the project is ending right when the weather improves, but I have been enjoying running outside much more than running on a treadmill. I think this will also help improve my motivation because I will want to run more if I can go outside than if I'm stuck inside. I will let you know the rest of my progress as soon as possible :)

No comments:

Post a Comment